Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Brown Rice and Lime Salad

I found this recipe in a magazine years ago.  
It was for a pearl barley salad but I adapted it for rice.
My kids LOVE rice!

Brown Rice and Lime Salad

1 cup Brown Rice
1tbs Lime Juice
1 Small Red Capsicum, diced
4 Shallots ends trimmed, thinly sliced
3/4 cup fresh coriander
250g green beans, cut into 3 cm lengths
2teaspoons olive oli


Cook the rice - Use the instructions on the packet, we use a rice cooker
Cook the beans (I prefer to steam)
Whisk together lime juice and olive oil
Combine cooked rice, lime juice mixture, beans*, capsicum, coriander and shallots.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

And now you have the most delicious rice salad.
We have had this with both Chicken and Lamb.
The lime in the salad compliments the lemon on the lamb beautifully and we serve it with some natural yoghurt on the side!  
To make the Lamb and Haloumi Skewers is very simple!
Just skewer your lemon marinated lamb, haloumi, capsicum and mushrooms and BBQ!
Or you could just cook in a frypan!

*I am actually allergic to beans!  I kid you not I am allergic to everything in the "legumes" family! Beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas even bean sprouts!  So I don't mix the beans in with the salad but place them on top of every ones salad.  For a bit of green I sometimes add some bbq'd asparagus to mine!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment