Saturday, March 19, 2011

I am grateful for....the school disco!



The school hall, usually a place of indoor P.E lessons, assemblies and capturing school photos, for one night is transformed to another world...disco world.  
The lights are dimmed.  The darkness broken by the occasional coloured flashing light. There are rumours in the playground, that some lucky schools even get a smoke machine!

The usual drab decor is decorated with balloons or even better in theme!!!  The transformation is not limited to the place but the people too!  Our everyday attire of school uniform has been replaced by a carefully picked outfit, especially chosen for its dance ability of just to make you look like the coolest kid around.  Will it sparkle in the lights?  Will my skirt twirl when I dance?  Are these shoes made for dancing?

Last night "My Pigeon Pair" went to their very first school disco.  Yes they are not yet school students but it is one of the many perks of having a mum who is a school teacher!  I am not sure who was more excited by the event, me, my kids or the students from my class who were so in love with my two little ones.  There was the usual hokey pokey, chicken dance and the occasional conga line but it is 2011 so there was also some Usher, Black Eyed Peas, real DJ's and plenty of floor spinning!

Not to be outdone my Mr Sociable Master O broke out his best moves which are best described as a mix between, break dancing, gymnastics, martial arts and Elaine from Seinfeld.  Miss A clapped her little hands until I am sure they were going to fall off but her signature move is definitely the bounce and bob.

I danced too, twirling kids under my arms, showing them some vintage moves like swimming and the lawn mower, and dragging those reluctant dancers up to do the twist.  We sang, we danced, we sweated and got huge blisters but we had the time of our lives.  In between all of this I noticed something...these children were aged between 4 and 7.  It is a magical age of innocence.  Self esteem is at an all time high.  Every child there boy, girl, co-ordinated or not so much, thought they were the best dancer in the room.  Nobody was judging. I get goosebumps thinking about it.  I wish I could capture their joy and bottle it.
They don't just say it they live it.  They truly danced like no one was watching.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Such fun! I love the school disco. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I remember the school disco...you have explained perfectly what used to happen at our school hall too! :) glad it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. And so well written too. Thanks for sharing your moments (and your kids) at this week's gratefuls. It's my favourite part of the week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter's sico is tomorrow - she is excited

    ReplyDelete